As almost a quarter of 12-15 year olds say they don’t know how to control who can see what they post on social media*, Thames Valley Police (TVP) is encouraging young people to take action to protect themselves online.
- Talk – to your child/children about staying safe online, find out what sites/social media they are using, what worries them and you about them being online, the emotional aspects of social media (jealousy, self-esteem etc)
- Explore their online world together – the NSPCC has useful tips of how to start the conversation on their website
- Agree rules about what is ok and not
- Manage parental controls on all your family’s devices – free helpline available (0808 800 5002)
- Repeat – make it part of everyday life