Saturday, 30 March 2019
Friday, 29 March 2019
Moments of truth
Your public services are at breaking point. Hear from the people who provide them – and their personal, and often frank stories of the tremendous pressures they face.
Hear their voices. Share their stories. Take a stand for your public services. #momentsoftruth
- The NHS is suffering the deepest financial squeeze in its 70 year history, with the decade 2010-2020 set to be its most austere ever
- At least 12,000 NHS beds have been lost since 2010
- Local government budgets have been slashed by nearly 50%, making it increasingly difficult for councils to properly fund street cleaning, libraries, leisure centres and community safety
- Approximately 1,000 Sure Start centres have closed since 2009
- Because of inadequate funding, nearly 80% of workers providing care to elderly people in their homes report having no option but to rush their work or leave clients early to get to their next call
- The number of police community support officers has been cut by more than 30%, at the same time as violent crime and sex offences have been rising
- The number of teaching assistants in secondary schools has been cut by 8%
- Close to one million jobs have been cut across public services, with more than half of those who are left reporting that they now have to undertake unpaid overtime to keep services going
- 80% of NHS staff have raised concerns about there not being enough staff on duty to give patients the high-quality care they want to
Thursday, 21 March 2019
Tuesday, 19 March 2019
#HolidayPay isn’t just for full-time workers 🙌
If you’re an agency worker, working part-time or on a casual contract, you’re entitled to it.👍
Monday, 18 March 2019
Saturday, 16 March 2019
UNISON members can rely on the very best legal backing from the union - entirely free of charge. Find out more about the legal services available to our members and how to start your claim online.
To find out how Click here
Thursday, 14 March 2019
Tuesday, 12 March 2019
Friday, 8 March 2019
UNISON has backed a call for probation services in England and Wales to be brought back into public ownership.
The launch of a petition by campaign group We Own It comes shortly after a joint letter on the issue from UNISON, GMB and probation officers’ union NAPO was sent to justice secretary David Gauke.
That, in turn, followed the collapse of one of the ‘community rehabilitation companies’ which have took over probation services for ‘non-serious’ offenders under former justice secretary Chris Grayling’s privatisation in 2015.
There’s a petition to sign in favour of renationalisation. It can be signed after following the link below.
Tuesday, 5 March 2019
Workers' Memorial Day is held on 28 April every year, all over the world workers and their reps conduct events, demonstrations, vigils and a whole host of other activities to mark the day.
The theme for this year is “dangerous substances – get them out of the workplace”. The focus will mainly be on carcinogens but you can adapt the theme to whatever is most relevant in your workplace or area, as many substances can also cause illnesses such as asthma or dermatitis.
Find out about events in your area
Monday, 4 March 2019
Friday, 1 March 2019
Launch comes on national RSI awareness day as research reveals another cost of austerity
Oxford City Council Unison branch joined the very successful this Friday. Our campaign stall on the Local Government Pension Scheme and ...
Oxford City Council response to “Better Oxfordshire” proposal Councillor Bob Price, Leader of Oxford City Council, responds to the...
First Prize of £100 voucher for John Lewis and partners, donated by Direct services Simon Howick Nadia Robinson Principal planner A...